2 tbsp Sage Leaves
Large pinch of salt
½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
3 lbs Potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 cups shredded Daiya, cheddar flavour
1 cup vegan cream or ¾ cup cashew cream
1 cup vegetable stock
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix sage, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Layer 1/3 of the potatoes and ½ of the onion in a lightly greased 13 x 9-in baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 1 tsp of the sage mixture and 1/3 of the shredded Daiya. Repeat layers. Top with remaining potatoes, sage mixture and Shreds.
- Stir stock and vegan cream in a medium bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Pour evenly over potatoes.
- Bake 45 mins to 1 hour or until potatoes are tender and top is golden.
To make this awesomely fantastic recipe you will need to do the following:
- Make some kick ass Potato Wedges.
- While those are in the oven start your pot of vegan gravy. Homemade or canned mushroom gravy works really well; Or try my Miso Gravy …Yummers.
- Once both of those are ready, all you need is Daiya to build an EPIC vegan poutine!!
Borscht is a Ukrainian soup that is popular in many Eastern and Central European countries. In most of these countries, it is made with beetroot as the main ingredient, giving it a deep reddish-purple color. This was a soup primarily made by the poorer people, as beets were cheap but high in nutritional value. Eastern Europe is the origin for many of my favourite dishes. Probably because they contain tons of root vegetables and are very hearty. Those russian had to stay warm somehow, right?
I have an unfulfilled fantasy of eating borscht while a eastern european hottie plays the accordion for me, by candlelight… as I sip wine. Sooo if you happen to have an accordian-playing hottie hidden in your closet, toss him my way.Thanks.
small yellow onion, sliced into half moons
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and shredded with a food processor
3 large beets, peeled and shredded with a food processor
2 medium red potatoes, shredded with a food processor
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 head cabbage (red or white), sliced into small pieces
3 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup Braggs
juice of 1 and a half lemons
vegan sour cream, or coconut milk
Saute onions and garlic in olive oil with a pinch of salt in a large soup pot for 1-2 minutes. Add beets, carrots, and potato. Add another pinch of salt, and stir.
When the vegetables are soft (about 5 minutes), add the cabbage, water and Braggs. Bring to a boil and then simmer, covered, for 20-30 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper, and add the lemon juice.
Serve hot or cold with a swirl of sour cream or coconut milk.