You wouldn’t think it was something to be concerned about. At first glance beer seems to pass the vegan test without much dispute. Beer in its purest form is made from water, malt, hops, and yeast. Depending on the brand and type, other ingredients find their way in giving you a fruit beer,…
For more Edgy Veg episodes visit the Coral Youtube channel! They post new episodes every Thursday!
Patios, parks, or before a yoga class… My vice happens to be anything in a bottle alongside some early 90s punk rock. For the most part, I like to keep things classy…But because it’s almost impossible to stop yourself from doing the pogo and making less than flattering facial expressions while actively singing along to your favorite lyrics, you must ensure that at least one part of this liquid fueled mess has some level of style.
You can act like a total lunatic, but if you are holding a fancy schmancy drink in your hand people assume you’re a well educated individual letting loose after a long day, not a nut job stuck in 1995 that re-lives the glory days every evening in your backyard… I meannnn…..Let’s face it you aren’t doing yourself any favours staying up until 4am every Saturday night…
The great thing about this drink is that you can make a bunch and keep it in your fridge for a super long time! Like I always say, be prepared.
2 parts Acai berry juice
1 part fresh lime juice
1 part agave nectar
2 parts club soda
1 package basil, roughly chopped
Cucumbers and lemons, sliced for garnish
Take a glass jar a fill it with tequila, now you’re going to want to insert a straw and sip… juuuuust kidding….. Add a handful of basil and muddle it, let that sit in your fridge anywhere from 1-4 days depending on your patience and desired basil flavour. Combine 1 part lime juice, 1 part agave, and your desired amount of basil infused tequila in a shaker… I like doubles…
Shake the crap out of that… and add it to your glass… top with half acai and half soda water, garnish with cucumber and lime. There you have it, so let’s raise a glass to appearing like you’ve got your shit together… Salud!
You wouldn’t think it was something to be concerned about. At first glance beer seems to pass the vegan test without much dispute. Beer in its purest form is made from water, malt, hops, and yeast. Depending on the brand and type, other ingredients find their way in giving you a fruit beer, or a cream ale, and giving you that distinct color and taste of a red compared to a blonde.
Further down the process line, past the main cooking tanks, beer often becomes a vegan faux-pas. Many breweries use animal products in the brewing process. Their most common use is as clarifying agents, but animal parts are also used for head retention, flavor, and coloring. Because there is no law requiring disclosure of non-vegan ingredients, beer labels rarely mention their use. Some animal products are the main ingredients in a beer and are easy to spot. These are usually indicated on the label and can easily be avoided. Honey is a common example. You can also just assume that anything using the word cream has a milk product of some sort in it. The animal products used in smaller proportions that don’t make it to the labels are those that you need to be aware of.
When I first discovered that beer had the potential to not be vegan, my initial thought was, “BUT I F**KING LOVE BEER!” …followed by “I wonder how many other vegans didn’t know this???” and topped off with a fantastic idea… “This calls for a Vegan Beer drink off! Fuck Yeah!”
Naturally I called my dear friend Cory and we made it happen. It involved 8 different types of beer, a handwritten chart, a pizza break, and a lot of serious conversations involving terms like hops, and fizziness and “…it’s coming out my nose!”
Top 5 Vegan Beers (Thus Far):
1. Erdinger Weissbier
Taste: Smooth wheat beer, full of flavour with citrus undertones. Great for sipping and pairing with summer inspired meals aka: BBQ-ing. It is brewed using fine yeast according to a traditional recipe a in strict accordance with the Bavarian Purity Law.
2. Mill St. Organic
Light, crisp refreshing flavour. We found Mill st. to be great, reliable summer beer that goes down like water. Ontario’s first certified organic lager! Oh Canada!
Halfway through , we both decided that it was absolutely unacceptable to drink beer without pizza. And so, we called Magic Oven… and ordered the most epic $45 vegan, spelt pizza… and ate the whole damn thing… BUT we weren’t full yet, as we had more beer to taste test!
A barley, malt smell with little hop presence. Nice rice taste with good balance; has a good aftertaste and is very refreshing. Kanpai!
4. Muskoka Dark
Tastes like chocolate! Thin, dark beer with a slight bitter taste, combined with caramel and a faint hint of coffee. We like this as a light alternative to Guiness.
5. Creemore Springs
Not overly sweet and not overly bitter. We found the citrus to be a bit more present in the taste than expected. This beer is great for sipping after a long workday.
After way too much beer and pizza, I started a dance party and we decided to make our own beer creations… it wasn’t as epic of an idea as we thought. But it was delicious nonetheless.
Here is a list of the most common animal products that are used in brewing:
Isinglass – Clarifier that is very common in brewing. Comes from the dried swim bladders of fish. Almost all cask conditioned ale uses isinglass as a clarifier, although it is more common in England than the U.S.
Gelatin – Clarifier obtained from the skin, connective tissue, and bones of animals. Typically taken from cattle and frozen pigskin.
Casein/Potassium Caseinate – Protein found in cow milk used as a clarifier.
Charcoal – Used for filtering. A portion is usually produced from animal bones.
Diatomaceous earth – Used in filtering. Comes from fossils or sea shells.
Insects – Made into dyes and used for coloring.
Glyceryl monostearate – Animal derived substance used to control foam.
Pepsin – Also used to control foam; it is sometimes derived from pork.
White sugar – Flavor additive often whitened using bone charcoal.
Albium – Refers to any protein that is water soluble. Most common type in brewing is serum albumin, which is taken from animal blood.
Lactose – Beers labeled as sweet, milk, or cream stouts may or may not contain lactose. Sometimes the description refers to the texture and not the ingredient. It’s best to double check these to be sure. Milk chocolate is common in certain styles, but some so-called “chocolate” porters or stouts actually contain no real chocolate at all. Some malted barley is called “chocolate malt” simply to describe the flavor the roasting imparts.
A real education takes place, not in the lecture hall or library, but in the rooms of friends, with earnest frolic and happy disputation. Wine can be a wiser teacher than ink, and banter better than books.
Life is pretty good as a single girl in the city, but being successfully single isn’t easy. Don’t roll your eyes at me… if your single life consists of long nights talking your cat, creeping Facebook and wallowing over the fact that you didn’t expect to be single at this age– well, then you deserve to be a lame, cat-petting, chocolate-eating spinster.
Being happy and single is hard work. Not physical work, but emotional work, well, I guess it is kiiiinda physical. But what do I mean by that? Well, the key to being ok with being single, is being ok with yourself. You will be spending a lot of time with you, so you better like that face staring back at you in the mirror. Get rid of your excuses about the fact that your friends are all attached and so you have no one to go out with. When I want to do something I do it, with or without company. Shows, movies, dinner… I have done them all on my own. I don’t feel lonely or bad about this, I feel empowered. I dress up and rock that dinner for one chair and table like it’s my effing job. How else do you expect to meet anyone? There is nothing hotter than a strong confident woman enjoying her life, despite the lack of sidekick. Embrace your single-self; this is the time to explore, create and make as many mistakes as you need to.
If that wasn’t reason enough, here are 10 other reasons why single trumps attached’s ass every time:
- You get all the closet space. This means that second closet is now, wait for it.. a SHOE closet! Who needs a man when you have a whole closet dedicated to your loyal and incredibly reliable footwear? You work hard for those calves and so do your platform pumps, so show those babies some love. bitch.
- You can be as hairy as you please. Hello Sasquatch, whats on the agenda today? Well, I can tell you shaving definitely isn’t. If you are an Amazonian cave woman with Brillo-pad wirey hair, think about how much time you are wasting by shaving your fucking legs everyday for no reason. The smart single girls mantra is this, Shave only during shorts season, or when you anticipate getting laid. The End.
- Ignorance to sports is bliss. No one will ask you to don a jersey and root for a sports team that doesn’t have a shot in hell of winning a game this season. That outfits just waaaay to cute to cover up with an over-sized bag of lost dreams. It’s that simple.
- You get BOTH sides of the bed. And the freedom to fart in your sleep. Errrr, I mean… Girls don’t do that…
- You have the ability to Build-a-Babe. Although you don’t have a BF, you do have a collection of crushes .a.k.a. The Smoothie Guy, Yoga Hottie, Sexy Bartender, and The Hot Band Guy. You also have a large list of “to-go men”, these are the handful of men that you have carefully chosen to be in charge of a need or role that a boyfriend usually plays. The difference is there’s many of them, and you pick and choose what you like from them. So in short, you have the dinner guy, the coffee dude, the listen to all my problems friend, the muse, the errand boy and the sex slave. You take what you want, you leave what you don’t. Everyone’s happy.
- You have a hot bod. With more time to work out and less temptation to chow down on guy-friendly junk food, you’re more likely to squeeze into the skinniest of skinny jeans. You have all the time in the world to hit the gym, do a yoga class and eat raw or vegan food without compromise. There’s a reason people in relationships get fat. Comfort is the ultimate beach bod killer.
- You can focus on yourself. With no one elses schedule to consider you have the freedom and ability to live by the seat of your pants. No one is around to hold you back. You don’t have to think about anyone else to learn what you want to do with your life, make decisions about where you want to live or what you want to do today. Maybe you’d like to take the entire day to read the paper, drink tea and lay in bed. It’s ok! Because you have the ability to be 100 percent selfish in your decision-making process. You can go where the winds blow. You have time to focus solely on your dreams, passions, business ventures or hobbies. The world is your oyster, your playground, your endless opportunity. Find out what you want and just do it!
- You can make yourself happy. All by yourself. No, I’m not talking about the vibrating pal you hide under your pillow… get your mind out of the gutter you dirty dog. What I mean is that you aren’t happy because your partner is happy, or because they’re around. No, you’re happy simply because your life is awesomely vibrant and full. You are happy because of everything you do everyday. And its the simple things; like when avocados go on sale, when the cute barista winks at you, or the satisfaction of FINALLY cleaning that damn bathtub. Oh, and of course you still have the means to orgasm in 5 minutes or less… Twice a day…
- Your friends come first.Now, we are all humans and we singles do fall into a K hole of suck once in a while. With no lover to make you feel better again, you begin to teach yourself how to deal with these types of crappy, crap hole days. You learn how to pick your own ass up off the floor; or lean on your friends. Being single means you learn how awesomely-important and dear they are – and you nurture those relationships for that reason. You go out of your way to make time, and shower them with love and affection. It just comes naturally. Be sure to build these relationships now, because once you’re attached you have to work to maintain them.
- You can have anyone. You can date anyone, everyone wants to date you and there is nothing but fun to be had and cute outfits to wear. Go out, mingle, flirt, hand out business cards and wine and dine your toned ass off. Maybe he’ll be mister right, maybe he won’t. You’re not too worried, because you don’t need a relationship– right now you just want sex. You don’t always want to be girlfriend/boyfriend with every man you’re attracted to. Maybe they’re a gorgeous tall drink of water but incredibly stupid, or have a brilliant mind and a shitty job. It doesn’t matter because as a friendly, reliable purveyor of orgasms, nothing else matters. Your list of demands is small, all you’re asking for is overwhelming satisfaction and some respect. This is a lot easier (and often more fun) than a serious boyfriend. Until you’re ready of course.