Vegan Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich
I believe in eating what you want. Last week I filmed with Michael Nussbacher co-founder of Epilogger,, as my official taste tester. As a lover of food, and a vegan, I often feel robbed of flavours and textures in the “Vegetarian Restaurant world. True recipe success can be determined by whether or not it is “carnivore approved”. Or in other words, if you can get a carnivore to eat your vegan food and really it. That was my goal with this dish and will continue to be my goal with all of my recipes.
1 lb of your favorite marinated seitan, or seitan recipe
Your Favorite Vegan Cheese Sauce
Sour dough bread or hoagie roll
2 cups Mushrooms, sliced
1 Onions, sliced
4 tbsp coconut oil, divided
2 tbsp coconut sugar
pinch of basil
pinch of oregano
pinch of salt
Organic BBQ Sauce
- In a large skillet, melt oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and cook, stirring constantly, until the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut sugar and cook, scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pan frequently, until the onions are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Shaved Seitan & Cheese
- Prepare your favorite seitan recipe, and finely cut with a mandolin. It should resemble shaved meat.
- In a skillet or frying pan over medium heat, toss seitan with BBQ sauce until well coated and hot.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute sliced mushrooms for 3-4 minutes or until starting to brown.
- Add dried herbs and a pinch of salt, sauté for 1-2 minutes.
Don’t crowd the mushrooms!
Place several slices of the seitan on the bottom half of the roll, spoon some of the cheese sauce over the seitan, and top with the mushrooms and onions.