Dinner Dates Suck
A dinner date is the most common type of date in the world today – and that’s both its positive and negative side. I have a serious problem with men taking me out to dinner. Not because I am a food snob… ok that does play a small role.. but mainly because I find it uncreative, lazy and as a vegan, I find it to be annoying. “Where can you eat, what can you eat…” blah blah blah …I hate you already.
What sets you apart from any other male that wants to get to know me? I guarantee that most of them have asked me to dinner… what makes you stand out, what makes you different, what makes you interesting? Dinner dates are very predictable. 9 times out 10, the same thing happens. You kind of know what you get, and the only real difference in one is whether you get a kiss at the end of the night or not.
So here are my top reasons why men & women alike need to start getting creative and stop asking each other out to dinner!
Dinner dates suck because:
- It’s boring. Not only for you, it’s also boring for him.
- It’s not a natural way to get to know someone. Do you usually eat dinner with somebody you don’t know?
- I’m really unattractive when I eat.
- They’re hard to escape. You’re tied to a chair for a few hours. What to do other than run when you catch him looking at your cleavage
- Awkward silence. Do I need to say more?
Having fun is the most important aspect of a date. And there are tons of OTHER ways to do this! So DUDES listen up…Here’s a little secret: If you really want to impress a woman, show her something new. Give her an experience she’s never had before. Trust me: If you do it properly, she’ll return the favor. wink wink
The trick is to set up a situation that can spark intimacy-building conversation, where you grow closer by exchanging ideas, feelings, hopes, and vulnerabilities.
- Spice shit up! If you are going to do a traditional dinner and a movie… switch it. Go to the movie first; and instead of going with traditional pop corn, sneak in some wine and snacks that go with the theme of the flick. Mind= blown.
- Be Interactive! When we try too hard or in predictable ways to create intimacy, we generally fail. That’s why you should stay away from cliché activities. Be thoughtful not corny. Play a game, yes … like a board game. Or paint something, or take a class on something sweet, like rock climbing. Doing something new together will reveal their (and your) most authentic self.
- Go Outside! Women friggen love being outdoors, it doesn’t matter what the activity is, when it’s nice she has to be there; so take her to the local farmers market. Pick up some fresh veggies, fruits, breads etc and take it with you to a park and just chill. Find a tree and chat, and eat, and talk, and people watch together. It is much more casual than dinner and way more fun! You feel like you can be yourself and so does she.
It doesn’t matter what you do as long as you are being yourself!
I recently went on a crazy fun date! The guy rented an accordion for us to play! Yes, there is a back story to this, and the short of the long of it, is this… Accordions are my most favorite instrument… EVER… So thoughtful right? Right. Oh and we also played Hungry Hippos on that date as well. Super effing fun.
The point of this post is this. It may work out, and it may not… but in the end wouldn’t you want to be the guy that rented the accordion, not the guy that fed her? I thought so.
A snippet from our evening of accordion playing