You Don’t Drink Enough
How do you feel today?
Are you tired? Rundown? Hungry? Sore? Constipated by chance? What would you do if I told you I can cure all these issues with just one simple technique and one ingredient?
What I am about to tell you is not a secret, and is not the miracle fad of the day. It is something so clear and so simple, you will follow my next sentance with a smack to the forehead. Water….
Say it with me now. Waaaaaaterrrrrrr. H2O is a wonderful natural healer. Did you know that you are made up of 55-75% water? FACT, you are a giant walking, talking, breathing, partying water bottle. In one end and out the other. Water cycling through the body trabsports nutrients and oxygen to cells and is responsible for proper organ function. In fact, muscle consists of 75% water, bone consists of 22%, blood consists of 83%, and the brain consists of a whoppin’ 90% !!
Lets imagine for a moments that your brain is a plant. a beautiful, strong and majestic Orchid plant. When you are watered and nurtured and nurished you are the hap-happiest Orchid on the block. Your petals are fierce with colour and your stem is standing upright and strong. You’re the hottest damn orchid around with that bright complextion and witty Anther cap of yours…
Now imagine it is 1929, The Great Depression Flower edition happens; no water, no food, no hope! After only one day of being deprived of your glorious water, you begin to lose your wit– your anther cap (brain) , become less responsive, you develop a migraine, and virtually suffocate your ability to concentrate. Look at your petals (skin)! You have lost all means of lubrication and begin to become dry , flakey and tired. Speaking of tired; you’re beautiful flower body is being suffocated from lack of transferred oxygen or nutrients. You begin to find yourself sluggish and weak; your stem begins to shrivel and out of pure exhaustion you fall over, dry out and die. Nice life hey?
Water is the building block of your existance. without it, you do not function, you do not perform at your highest level of potential and your body becomes a toxic wasteland of crap.
POP QUIZ! How much water should you be drinking a day? 8 cups your say? WRONG.
It’s actually not that easy at all. Every day you lose water through your breath- so all that talking you do? Yeah you’re just throwing out water into the air. You lose water through sweating, when you tinkle and when you make pooh pooh. Ladies, you don’t need to worry about this, since, well, we don’t do that. ew. So for your body to function properly, you must replenish its water supply by consuming beverages and foods that contain water.
So how much is that you ask? Well, men need roughly 3 liters a day. While women on average need 2.2 liters. That’s about 10 cups. Now, this is just a guideline since these numbers go up for those that live in hotter climates, and those of us that workout for more than an hour a day. Personally, I should be drinking about 3-3.5 liters a day. Do I do this? I try to… But much like most of you I am so busy that I forget.
So here are some drinking tips that I find helpful.
- Start Early. Have 2 cups of water on your nightstand. Drink one right before bed (unless you have tendency to pee the bed…) and the other first thing in the morning. This will help you flush your system first thing in the morning.
- Carry a bottle. I like to stay away from plastic so I have a personalized mason jar that I drag around with me all day. A lot of people find it useful/lighter to get a big plastic drinking bottle. that’s cool too, but glass trumps all – jussss sayinn’
- Buy a filter. Instead of spending a fortune on bottled water, invest in a filter for your home faucet, or a Brita for your fridge. It’ll make tap water taste like bottled, at a fraction of the price.
- Drink before you exercise. Be sure to drink water a couple hours ahead of time, so that it will get through your system in time, and again, drink during and after exercise as well. Exercising will make you want to drink more water, and you’ll get jacked so Hooray for you!
- Set an alarm. It often helps, when forming a new habit, to set an alarm — it increases awareness and helps you ensure that you’re staying on track. I set a reminder on my phone every hour that makes me drink at least 500 ml on the spot. So I’m getting hydrated and practicing my chugging skills at the same time! This will come in handy for this weekend’s game of flip cup… who am I kidding? I am way too old for that.
So here is what I am going to do for you. I am going to send out a tweet every hour to remind you to go, get off your tuckus and grab a tall drink of water- and then grab his tuckus. HA no, but seriously follow me on twitter for your daily water updates! Just click on the twitter link to your right, yup riight over there
So Bottoms up! CHEERS! Prost! Salute! KIPPIS!