I Get What I Want
I am a go-getter. If I want it, I get it, it really is that simple. I am a loud-mouthed, opinionated, mover and shaker. This is usually a good thing. I say usually because the tunnel vision that takes over my body can often come across as psychotic. I don’t wait for that dude to ask me to dinner, these days a girl develops wrinkles by the time a man has the balls so ask her out. So I ask him. Why? Because I don’t have time to wait around, and secondly, because I get what I want. Was I always this way? Hell no… I used to be a quiet and shy girl that would get pushed around and teased on a regular basis. The bona fide doormat du jour. Those jours are over sweetheart.
I woke up one day and was sick and tired of NOT having what I wanted. I would look around at those that I envied; the women with the killer body, the wicked career and the too-good-to-be-true boyfriend that waited on them hand and foot.
As I grew older I realized two things a) I cannot STAND a man that waits on me hand and foot and b) If I want something I better go fucking get it! Who cares about anyone else’s stupid opinion on the matter, who are they to tell you your big idea is the pits, or that you will fail? Making an assumption like that just means that you have looked the universe in the face and said “Whatev’s, I’ll just reject myself, makes less work for you…”
If I know my readers as well as I think I do, I know one thing all too well. We don’t let the universe make up our minds for us… we know what we want and we go get it. This can be any number of things; a career, that hot new condo on the water, a kick ass body, or the stud in the office next to yours (although be warned determined women can be scary women… So tread lightly and use that charismatic smile). It doesn’t matter how small or large the item, with determination and a go-getter attitude you can have whatever you want!
Let me break things down for you, in six easy steps:
1. Ask for it – Duh, the simplest of the six steps, but at the same time also the hardest. Most of us have this disgusting fear of rejection. Well, get over it sister. You will find that when you ask for help, or ask for what you want, people are willing to give you exactly what you’re looking for. You might not get the answer from the first person you talk to, but if you are persistent the answer will eventually fall into your lap. Ask you shall receive.
2. Focus- Focus your thoughts on the big picture, the end goal, keep your eye on the prize. If you live and breathe your focus you will begin to also act it out and notice more people trying to help you. Everything you do will begin to relate to your goals because you have focused your mind and trained it to notice things that are more relevant to your cause. Obviously just thinking about it all day won’t help; but it will guide your day to day actions in the right direction.
3. Take Action– Sit down and write out your goals. It sounds so cliché, but trust me, having them on paper is the first step to making them a reality. Once you have identified the goal you are able to set a plan and put action to it. Unless you have a magic lamp that houses a genie, they won’t simply appear in front of you. So start workin’ girlfriend.
4. Reciprocity-Since I am a political nerd you will have to bear with this short explanation. Reciprocity is used to describe the concept of Canada’s free trade with the US. Or in this case get back what you give. You simply can’t sit there expecting things to happen, go out on a limb and be the first to give. It will pay off in the long run. Plus it feels good.
5. Be Passionate– Passion is contagious. If you are enthusiastic about what you want people will notice and they will respond. Have you ever noticed how that salesperson that just LOVES their job will often get you to buy that extra item and you have no idea how it happened? Well they passion-bombed your mind, that’s how. Share your passion and be verbal about your goals.
6. Don’t give up– Becoming complacent is for quitters and you are not a quitter. You will not be satisfied with mediocrity and I will tell you why; Being comfortable is boring. I believe that the key to an exciting and fruitful life is one spent in a constant state of discomfort. Not enough to cause pain or mental stress, but just enough to keep you moving. You might fail, but only for a second, because you have only failed once you have given up. In the words of Aaliyah, If at first you don’t succeed, just dust yourself of and try again. Value any and all progress made, because that progress gets you one step closer.